By Johnny Wills | Jun 24, 2012 01:14 PM EDT
In first of its kind of incident, Samsung is investing claims by an Irish user that his Galaxy S3 has caught fire while mounted on car's dashboard while he was driving.
Surfing internet with the name of "dillo2k10" the Dublin based user claimed on Wednesday that his newly purchased smartphone caught fire while mounted on car's dashboard. The users also posted several photos as a proof of the burnout on Boards.ie forum. As it appears in the pictures, the Galaxy S3 got burns at the bottom, just to the right side of microUSB charging port.
"So I driving along today with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone. I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal," the user said.
Subsequently the post received a lot of spotlight on blogosphere and social networking sites - mainly on Facebook and Twitter. Writing on its official blog, Samsung said that it is aware of the issue and investigation will begin as soon as it receives the specific device.
"There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question. Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously," said Samsung, in a post, on Samsung Electronics Official Global blog.
However, there is nothing to worry, as the incident is one of its kind. Incidents of battery explosion in cell phones have been common in the past few years, but this problem appears to be something else. Even the victim is admitting that the cause could be the exposure of car's heating system with dashboard mount.
In case, the problem is serious, Samsung needs to work on the issue to assure that its latest flagship smartphone is not potentially dangerous.