By Alexandra Burlacu | Mar 28, 2013 09:10 AM EDT
The LG-made Google Nexus 4 is hugely popular among Android enthusiasts due to its price and specs, but also due to its pure vanilla Android experience.
The fact that the Nexus 4 offers a pure vanilla Google Android experience means the handset will always be among the very first devices to receive future Android updates. At the same time, it also means the Nexus 4 is a great choice for users who like to customize their gadgets.
On that note, a new Nexus 4 RootBox v3.9.1 ROM based on the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update now offers some neat new features, as well as a few bug fixes. Custom ROM RootBox v3.8 had a number of issues, including random rebooting and memory leak issues. This version from XDA developer bajee11 fixes those issues and adds some great touches and enhancements.
The list of features from the RootBox 3.9.1 ROM includes AOKP features and CM profiles, Per App DPI, OTA updates to Goo Manager, user interface and language, LCD density charger, advanced phone settings, lockscreen shortcuts, screen security features and more. The Nexus 4 build is already available for download, although it is still in the development stage and may have some minor bugs. The Google Apps package, meanwhile, is available here.
To install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and enjoy customized features using the RootBox ROM v3.9.1, follow the step-by-step instructions below. Keep in mind, however, that users who proceed do so at their own risk.
Keep in mind that the RootBox 4.2.2 Jelly Bean used in this guide is for the Nexus 4 only and applying it to another device may break it.
How To Install In 10 Simple Steps
1. Download Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean RootBox ROM v3.9.1 on the PC.
2. Download Google Apps package (see download links for both in fourth paragraph).
3. Connect the Nexus 4 to the PC via USB and copy the downloaded zip files to the phone's SD card. Just copy the files without extracting them.
4. Disconnect the device from the PC and turn off the phone.
5. Set the Nexus 4 into Recovery Mode by first booting into bootloader mode then navigating to "Recovery Mode" using the Volume buttons. Use the Power button to select the Recovery Mode. Once you select this mode, use the Volume buttons again to scroll between options and the Power button the select the desired option.
6. Perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM so you can restore it later if the new ROM doesn't work or if you later want to return to the previous firmware. To do so, go to "Backup and Restore" and select "Backup" again on the next screen. Once the backup is done return to the main recovery menu.
7. To avoid issues between the existing and the new ROM, perform a data wiping task. To do so, go to "Wipe data/ factory reset" and select "Yes" on the next screen to confirm. The data wiping process will take a while. Once the phone completes this task, return to CWM Recovery main menu and select "Wipe cache partition." After this process, go to the "Advanced" option and from there select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and wait for it to complete, then browse to recovery menu.
8. Select "Install zip from SD card," then "Choose zip from SD card." Navigate to the RootBox Jelly Bean ROM you copied to the SD card on Step 3. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation process should start.
9. Once the ROM installation process is over, follow the same procedure to install the Google Apps package.
10. Go to the main recovery menu and select "Reboot system now" to reboot the phone. The Nexus 4 will now boot into the customized Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot will take roughly five minutes.
The RootBox ROM v3.9.1 based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean should now be up and running on the Google Nexus 4. Go to Settings > About Phone to check the device's software version. If you later want to return to the previous ROM, simply boot the Nexus 4 into recovery and select "Backup and restore." Select the ROM from the list and restore.
© 2013 Mobile & Apps All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.