Apple Retail Stores to allow iPhone purchases through U.S. carriers’ early upgrade programs

By Alexandra Burlacu | Jul 28, 2014 08:12 AM EDT

Share This Story

  • Print
  • Email

 

Apple Retail Stores will reportedly allow customers to purchase iPhones through U.S. carriers' early upgrade programs in the future, according to a new report.

Such early upgrade programs from carriers in the U.S. include AT&T Next, Verizon EDGE, as well as T-Mobile Jump. This would mark a great step forward, as for now Apple Store customers can only buy a new iPhone either subsidized through a standard two-year service agreement with a carrier, or unlocked and contract-free for the full retail price.

Follow us

All three early upgrade programs from AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, meanwhile, allow customers to upgrade their phones sooner rather than later, splitting the cost of the device into monthly installments that are added to the monthly bill each month. Verizon and T-Mobile, for instance, allow their customers to upgrade twice a year after six months of payments have passed, while AT&T allows upgrades once a year after 12 months of payments have passed.

Apple reportedly plans to put the new strategy into effect right before the highly-expected iPhone 6 launch this fall, according to a new report from 9to5Mac. Genius Bar workers, as well as store employees, will reportedly start receiving their training on the program on Sunday, Aug. 10, until Thursday, Aug. 28.

This new move clearly signals that Apple wants to enable customers to do more in its retail stores, likely in a move to boost sales of iDevices. Not too long ago, Apple Stores finally started to allow customers to add prepaid or month-to-month plans when buying unlocked iPhones at full price, something that was previously unavailable.

Apple CEO Tim Cook notably said last year that as much as 80 percent of iPhones were sold at third-party locations, leaving Apple with the meager remainder of 20 percent of the sales. Apple wants to change this and sell more devices itself, and this new move will likely be an important step in the right direction. It remains to be seen whether this new strategy will prove successful or not, but customers will surely welcome the option.

However, keep in mind that nothing is official at this point, therefore a healthy dose of skepticism is strongly recommended. While this move would definitely make sense, we'll have to wait until Apple confirms it to be sure.

 

 

 

Get the Most Popular Mobile&Apps Stories in a Weekly Newsletter

© 2014 Mobile & Apps All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join Our Conversation

Smartphones
T-Mobile Samsung Gear S Samsung Gear S 3G smartwatch gets wearable-specific data plan on T-Mobile – Prices & options
‘World’s narrowest’ FHD smartphone display from LG is virtually bezel-free
Samsung Galaxy A3, Galaxy A5 break cover with full-metal unibody designs & more (VIDEO)
Droid Turbo global version launching on Nov. 5 as Moto Maxx?
Tablet / Laptop / PC
Dell Venue 7 and Venue 8 Dell unveils Venue 7 and Venue 8 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean tablets
Retina iPad Mini facing delays, may not launch until early next year
Refurbished 128GB iPad with Retina Display now available on the Apple Online Store
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition: Pricing and availability now official
Gadgets
Amazon Logo Amazon reportedly to launch ‘Firetube’ set-top box before 2013 holidays
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Gear India launch: Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy Gear Android smartwatch now up for pre-order in Canada
Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 reportedly in the works already, may debut at CES or MWC 2014
OS / Software
HTC Logo HTC reportedly considering Android/Windows Phone dual-booting smartphone as Microsoft pushes for deeper Windows mobile integration
iOS 7 Chrome Incognito mode leaks private searches due to bug
Sprint HTC One Android 4.3 Jelly Bean already rolling out, AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon to follow
Microsoft Windows 8.1 now available for pre-order
Internet / Social Media
Google Downtime Google blacks out for two minutes, causes 40 percent drop in world’s Internet traffic
Xbox Music web player is live and ready for Xbox Music Pass subscribers
Facebook Android app collected phone numbers even if users never logged in
Firefox 22 brings support for web video calls, 3D gaming, and Unreal Engine 3
What's App
Flipboard for Windows Phone Flipboard for Windows Phone finally available, but requires 1GB of RAM (VIDEO)
Vine gets major update, lets you upload previously-shot videos & more (VIDEO)
BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) finally hits Windows Phone – Available as a free download now
Instagram releases Bolt ephemeral messaging app in select markets to challenge Snapchat
Copyright © 2014 Mobile & Apps All rights reserved. mobilenapps
Real Time Analytics