By Johnny Wills | Jul 07, 2012 12:51 PM EDT
Samsung has finally resolved the much-highlighted Galaxy S3 explosion case and concluded that the damage was caused by external energy source. The Dublin-based user that reported the incident also admitted he had lied about it.
In a post on its official blog, Samsung reported that an external energy source is the cause for the damage and not the phone itself. In addition, such amount of damage can only be caused by putting the smartphone in a microwave.
Last month, an Irish user claimed that his Samsung Galaxy S3 caught fire, mounted on dashboard, while he was driving his car. The user also posted several images of the charred smartphone on Boards.ie forum as a proof of the burnout.
"So I driving along today with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone. I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal," the user said.
Subsequently, Samsung posted in its Global blog that it is aware of the incident and an investigation is under way. Samsung handed the case to Fire Investigation UK. After conducting a series of tests, the third party organization concluded that it was external energy source, not the device, which caused the explosion.
"The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device... The device was not responsible for the cause of the fire," Fire Investigation UK stated in the final report. "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."
Meanwhile, the forum poster has removed the original post, admitting that he was responsible for the damage to the smartphone.
"I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake," the user posted on Boards.ie forum.
© 2013 Mobile & Apps All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.