Shazam For iOS Updates: New Listening Screen, Google+ Support, Larger Album Artwork
Shazam has announced version 5.5 of its iOS app for iPhone and iPod touch, sporting a new user interface (UI) with a slew of updated features.
The new UI features an upgraded listening screen, a larger album network, Google+ support, and other nifty new additions.
The new version is available for download now from the official Apple App Store, and requires iOS 6. The new listening screen basically means that Shazam has replaced the "sweep" action with a blue Shazam dial that responds to music. Meanwhile, the larger album network displays bigger accompanying images alongside tag results for music, TV ads, or shows. The screen also features the usual buttons for listening to a sample and buying the content from iTunes.
Perhaps the most useful update, however, is automatic resubmission. This means that users in poor reception areas no longer have to manually resubmit tags when they move to better reception. The iOS Notification Center will also display a notification for this new feature.
Meanwhile, the new My Tag Search function enables users to find specific tags with a search by name, title, location, or tag date. In addition to these new features and the Google+ support, the update also brings improvements for the visually impaired, offering a new "magic tap" feature. When VoiceOver is enabled, users can immediately start tagging simply by performing a two-finger double tap from anywhere in the Shazam app.
The full list of updates in Shazam for iOS version 5.5 include:
- New tagging screen that responds to sounds around the user;
- Automatic matching from areas without coverage to better reception areas;
- Search My Tags - scrolling to the top of the My Tags enables users to search for artists, titles, tag dates, and tag locations;
- More social media integration, now allowing users to share tags on Google+;
- Magic Tap for VoiceOver users;
- Pull to Refresh restored to Shazam Friends;
- Sharing tags on Facebook now employs the iOS native sharing screen;
Shazam for iOS comes in two different versions: the free app that comes with banner ads, or the Shazam Encore version, which costs $6.99 in the App Store. This app is also compatible with the iPod touch, but the separate iPad version of Shazam is yet to be updated.