Netflix App With 720p Video Playback Coming To Windows Phone 8
Windows Phone fans, who are avid users of Netflix, are in for a treat as the Netflix app has been updated with the ability for 720p video playback. Time to put those massive 4+-inch screens to use by watching House of Cards.
The Netflix update is only available right now for Windows Phone 8 devices, as only the high-end handsets on that platform such as the HTC 8X and the Nokia Lumia 920 have 720p displays. Previously, Windows Phone 8 users had to contend with the Windows Phone 7.5 version of the Netflix app and this forced users to watch content on a screen with black borders around.
Netflix for Android and iOS over the years have seen several updates. However, the same cannot be said for the Windows Phone version. It has been many months since the Netflix app has seen an update and the same can be said for many other Windows Phone apps that have versions for more popular platforms.
The Windows Phone version was released back in 2010, but has only seen less than a handful of updates. If you check the Android and iOS versions, they have a more unified design to the web experience and the experience on gaming platforms such as the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3. The Android and iOS versions of Netflix also have a cool new feature that allow users to control content selection remotely from a smartphone when linked to a video game console on the home network.
Despite not having plenty of compelling features, Windows Phone 8 users should feel happy that they at least have a Netflix app, for it could have been worse.
How does Netflix work?
- Netflix membership gives you access to unlimited TV programs and films for one low monthly price.
- With the Netflix app you can instantly watch as many TV episodes & films as you want, as often as you want, anytime you want.
- You can browse a growing selection of thousands of titles, and new episodes that are added regularly.
- Search for titles and watch immediately on your phone or on an ever expanding list of supported device.
- Rate your favorite programs and films and tell us what you like so Netflix can help suggest the best titles for you.
- Start watching on one device, and resume watching on another. Check out netflix.com for all the TVs, game consoles, tablets, phones, Blu-ray players and set top boxes on which you can watch Netflix.