Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update rolling out now – Complete Changelog
Verizon Wireless is the last U.S. carrier to push out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update to its Samsung Galaxy S3, but at least it's finally doing it.
While all major U.S. carriers have already updated their versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3 to the latest flavor of Jelly Bean last month, along with the unlocked model of the smartphone, Verizon is just now rolling out the update.
Verizon is notorious for its rigorous testing process and more often than not, Big Red customers have to wait considerably longer to get the updates offered by other carriers. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is no different, as last year's Galaxy flagship on Verizon has been stuck on an older Androi version until now.
The long-overdue update brings several neat features, including Samsung's KNOX security suite, compatibility with the Galaxy Gear smartwatch, better storage management due to app-to-SD card option, and more. Here's the complete changelog of the Android 4.3 update for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, as published by the carrier:
- Media Backup in Backup Assistant has been removed
- Move apps from internal memory to SD card (some apps may not support this feature)
- Camera now supports Sound & Shot mode
- Share videos simultaneously across 4 devices with Group Play
- Enhanced Multi Window
- Access music player controls on the Lock Screen
- 'Location settings completed' checkbox has been removed from Setup Wizard
- More Bluetooth Smart Accessories now supported (heart rate monitors, pedometers, thermometers, and others)
- Roaming on the TELUS network in Canada now possible
App Name Changes
- AllShare Play is now called Samsung Link
- Starter mode is now called Easy Mode
- AllShare Cast is now called Screen Mirroring
- Media & Music now appears as Samsung Hub
- Customer name now displays correctly when calling voicemail callback number
- Voicemail prompt displays properly
- 3-way calling now possible while roaming on Bluegrass Cellular
- Notification sound for emails has been addressed
- 'No SIM Card' notification fixed
- Text messaging app no longer closes when composing a message
The update is currently rolling out over the air (OTA), which means that it may take a while to reach all devices. The new software version has build number JJSS15J.I535VRUCML1. If you've received the new update already, let us know how it fares in the comment section below.