CES 2013: Polaroid Announces Award Winning, Liquid Accident-Withstanding Tablet For Kids
Polaroid, the company known for its cameras, has decided to take a plunge in the tablet market by launching a 7-inch Android 4.0 tablet for children, called the "Polaroid Kids Tablet."
Just like the name implies and from the looks of the tablet, Polaroid has specifically designed and geared the tablet towards kids. Polaroid describes the tablet as "the white 7-inch tablet designed to engage, entertain, and educate children in the home or on the go. Its innovative design of integrated side and rear bumpers protects the tablet from shocks, falls, and withstands all sorts of liquid accidents." If there's two things a children's tablet needs in its design it's bumpers and being able to withstand all sorts of liquid accidents.
Polaroid has also announced that the Polaroid Kids Tablet has been named a CES Innovations 2013 Design and Engineering Awards Honoree in the Tablets, E-Readers & Mobile Computing product category. Does CES give every participant an award for just showing up? CES 2013 hasn't even begun yet, and the last time I checked CES 2013 was beginning on Jan. 8. I don't want to rain on Polaroid's parade, even though their tablet can withstand all sorts of accidents. So let's take a look at the specs Polaroid is featuring in the Polaroid Kids Tablet:
- 7-inch 800 x 480 capacitive multi-touch display
- 8GB of internal memory
- 1GHz processor
- 512MB of RAM
- USB port
- SD card slot for expandable memory
- 2-megapixel camera
- Digital accelerometer, built-in speaker, headphone jack, microphone and rechargeable battery
- Pre-loaded with 3 top rated learning apps and 10 interactive books
- Pre-loaded with the Nook bookstore and reader
- Custom Web browser with parental controls
- Appshop which only includes apps for children where they can safely browse and download free apps or purchase apps (parental controls need to be turned off before your child can spend your money) that have been carefully selected before being included in the shop
If you or your kid would like to buy this tablet, it's available now via Polaroid's online store and retails for $149.99.