Android AOKP 4.2 Second Release Lands For Galaxy S3, Nexus 10
Good news for all Android users and fans associated with Android Open Kang Project.
Per reports, the Android Open Kang Project (popularly known as AOKP) is currently expanding its recent version 4.2 with a brand new second release for users who look forward to the builds for their smartphones.
Currently, the developers at AOKP are expanding on the three officially supported devices in the initial release, and with the new Build 2, all four major U.S. variants of the Samsung Galaxy S3 are being supported, although the device's international version is yet to be supported.
Apart from the Galaxy S3, the Nexus 7 3G and the Nexus 10 are also in the list of the devices supported. The AOKP Web site has now made flash-ready ROM files available for users of the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 7 WiFi as well.
"We're still regenerating after the holiday season, but here is some deliciousness for you," the official page states.
The new devices list is as follows:
- d2att - Galaxy S3 (AT&T)
- d2tmo - Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile)
- d2usc - Galaxy S3 (US Cellular)
- d2vzw - Galaxy S3 (Verizon)
- manta - Nexus 10
- tilapia - Nexus 7 (GSM)
Alongside the basic bugfixes, the AOKP team has added a boatload of customization options to the devices' statusbar, lockscreen, and navigation bar. This brings back a fair amount of the settings found in older releases (although the highly anticipated option for the now-outdated tablet UI is still missing).
On the downside, there's also a noteworthy bug for the Galaxy S3. The WiFi tethering, currently, isn't working, so if users are depending on this feature, it is better to hold off for a later release.
However, the developers recommend a full wipe of the devices, and as expected with this family of ROMs, users will need to download and flash Gapps (Google Apps) package. Check here for the Gapps package.
Here's the full list of features as provided by the AOKP team:
- Boot animation picker enhancements
- Colorable clock views/widgets
- Option to hide initial page hints
- Start lockscreen with minimized challenge
- Longpress on minimized challenge to unlock
- Carousel animation
- Colorable NavBar background
- Recents menu opens with lightning speed
- Alternative signal layout (GB-style)
- New toggle: Sound state (ring/vib/silent)
- Mobile technology indicator reflects internet connection status
- Powerkey shutter