Apple Releases iOS 6.1.1 Beta 1 To Developers
It's great to see that Apple is always working on making improvements to iOS and that has translated into Apple sending out new builds of the upcoming iOS 6.1.1 in beta form to developers to test.
Apple seems to be focusing on Japanese iOS users with this latest build as the release notes list improvements to the Maps application for Japan.
Here are the official release notes:
iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 includes the following improvements to Maps for Japan:
- * Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- * Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- * Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- * Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- * Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- * Updated freeway color to green
- * Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices
- * Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
There has been no indication of when Apple plans on finalizing and releasing iOS 6.1.1 to the public but there will likely be a few more beta builds released to developers before Apple officially releases the update to the public.
Hopefully Apple will address a new bug found in iOS 6.1 that seems to be affecting many iPhone 5 users. iPhone 5 users are reporting a significant drain in battery life after installing the official iOS 6.1 update. Users began to flood Apple's support forums reporting the issue after noticing their battery drains much faster after the update. Apple has not yet publicly acknowledged the bug but it's pretty safe to assume the company will squash the bug sooner rather than later.