By Binu Paul email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Feb 26, 2013 08:16 AM EST
Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) team has released its first built off Android 4.2.2 in just two weeks after the official Android update. Owners of Galaxy S2 I9100 can now install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM on their phone with the latest release of Build 4.
While a stable AOKP ROM is best desired for an Android device, the Team has successfully merged the previous AOKP code with the new Android 4.2.2 with seemingly no broken features. It should be noted that the build focuses on bug fixes, adding more devices and merging the 4.2.2 changes and making the ROM function with those updates rather than adding new features.
You need to have a custom CWM recovery installed. You should keep a proper backup of all your data as the process requires a complete wipe out of everything on your device.
- Make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 properly.
- Once again, you should back up your important data and settings. It's advised that you back up data manually as it gives you more options. If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your device, it's highly recommended that you take a back up using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
- You should enable USB debugging mode on your phone (how to enable USB debugging).
- You should ensure that your smartphone has at least 85 percent battery power to prevent unexpected device shutdown.
- You should perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Make sure that your phone is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- It should be noted that Samsung KIES will NOT detect your phone after installing Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean because it is a custom ROM.
1. This tutorial is only for installing Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Verify your device's model number and do not try it on any other Galaxy S2 variants.
2. It should be remembered that this is not an official firmware update, but a custom ROM, based on AOSP release of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
3. Users should note that the instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the firmware on your Galaxy S2. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.2 AOKP ROM
Step 2: Google Apps for Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3: Connect and mount your Galaxy S2 USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 4: Copy the downloaded Android 4.2.2 ZIP file and Google Apps zip onto your SD card.
Step 5: Now, power off your device and disconnect it from the USB cable.
Step 6: Switch on your phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Menu + Power buttons until the device boots into Recovery mode.
Step 7: Perform a full data wipe first in the ClockworkMod recovery. Then navigate down to 'flash zip from SD card' and press the Power button to select it.
Step 8: Press the Power button again and select 'choose zip from sdcard'.
Step 9: Here, use your volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.2.2 ZIP file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. You should confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step again for the Google Apps zip file.
Step 10: Once the installation is over, head to 'Go Back' and reboot the phone by selecting 'reboot system now' from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and the first boot might take about 5 minutes, so wait until the process completes.
At this point, you have the Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean installed on your Samsun Galaxy S3. You can verify the firmware version by going to Settings >About phone.
© 2013 Mobile & Apps All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.